Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Theory of a Dead Post

People aren't posting as often anymore. Don't believe me? Well, you should, cuz I swear it's true, and I even have a few reasons for the trend.

1. It's a busy time of year -- yadda yadda yadda.

2. The weather is getting nicer, so people are outside gardening, pressure washing, playing tennis, and whatnot.

3. Facebook. Those who use it are spending more of their cyber-time there and so don't have as much time to write and/or have already used up what they would say on their Facebook "wall." I have mixed feelings about this. Perhaps those who blog for a creative outlet still write, and those who mostly blog to update their friends on their lives do not (Facebook is a quicker and more frequently read medium for some people). Maybe it's good to weed out the bloggers who write about what they fed their cats that day. Maybe blogs should remain for those who actually have something to say. (FYI: I'm not saying if you haven't posted lately, you are in the cat camp -- just saying I generally miss reading good thoughts.)

As one of the few still hesitant to join Facebook (and let me tell you, our numbers are dwindling faster than a bag of Cheetos at Youth Group), I keep checking blogs and getting no love . How am I supposed to unwind if there's nothing to read, and reading Facebook is not an option? I have to blame something, so Facebook will take the heat. And, for those of you avid Facebook users, remember: Big Brother is watching you. Watching EVERYTHING. Knows ALL of your personal information, regardless of how "secure" you think you are. I recently read an email that certainly freaked me out. Ask Chubs for it (cuz I read it over his shoulder).

Be careful little fingers what you write.
Be careful little fingers what you post.
Be careful little fingers where you lead.

9 comments:

The Yee's said...

I totally agree with you! Facebook is evil. I thought that I would never sign up, but then somehow I got nominated to organize the high school reunion and it's the only way to get in touch with people! Sigh... all my time gets swept up on Facebook... I will try and post more blogs!!! Cheers!

Deb said...

Not being on facebook is eventually going to be just as surprising as not having a cell phone (which we don't), or, way back in the day, not having an answering machine (which my family didn't until 1999). I like blogging. It means there's not TONS of personal info about me out there, but there's lots of thoughts. What would you rather people knew about you? Stats or mental meandering? I can't say much, because I don't know facebook, but I kinda like that fact. Someone said "but you can find long lost friends" another non-facebooker replied "perhaps there's a reason they were lost...?"

Anonymous said...

I love facebook. I have contacted/been contacted by so many people I haven't seen seen since grade 12. It's not just a mindless place to post a word or two either. If you join it, you too, will love it. Stop being a hater and do what you are dying to do: join facebook. Yes, it pre-occupies a lot of my time now, but I enjoy it and I do not feel guilty about it either. So poop on you facebook haters. Cheryl, I'll see you on there soon I am sure.
Tracey Hoff

bradj said...

Now my resolve to never join Facebook is absolute. I was the one who said "perhaps there's a reason..." above. It's not about time for me (though that's a convenient excuse), it's about emotional energy. I just don't have that much!

And I'm committed to my blog. This week I'll be buying podcasting equipment for work that will be borrowed liberally for use in my personal blog. I've got what's working for me -- now I'm going to make it work even harder! :-)

Anonymous said...

FOR ALL YOU BLOGGERS REMEMBER BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
I KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN THE PAST WHO KNOWS HOW LONG BECAUSE OF YOUR BLOGS AND I HAVENT SEEN OR TALKED TO YOU IN 3 YEARS YET I KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND HOW YOUR LIFE IS.. YOU DONT THINK THATS WIERD...
ITS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN NOW.. ITS SCARY BUT SOME HOW YOU WILL BE CONNECTED UNLESS YOU LIVED IN A HOLD ALONE!!

Anonymous said...

BY THE WAY THAT WAS ME DANIELLE JANZEN THE LAST ANONYMOUS BLOGGER

Anonymous said...

if you join facebook we can be virtual friends!!! doesn't that sound like fun?

Anonymous said...

you guys are being very narrow minded about it. sorry, but you are.
tracey hoff

Anonymous said...

myspace is great!!!! better than facebook