Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I do run, run, run

Whenever spring rolls around, I usually get the itch to start working out. My idea of "working out" does not include a gym membership, however. I learned that lesson a couple years ago. True, for a few months of my fancy-schmancy gym membership I got up early, crawled into my workout gear, and sleepily DROVE to the gym. I would do my thing, get home, shower, go to work, and drink lots of water all day. It was amazing, though short-lived. I am not a morning person, and I get a little bit stifled in gyms. Tread-mills are not really my friends (one time I dropped my water bottle while running on the tread-mill, and when I tried to retrieve it, my balance was thrown off -- as was I).

I'm pretty famous for paying for stuff I don't use and/or need. If I were to add up all the money I've wasted over the years from not cancelling or properly setting up stuff, it would certainly depress me and paint me in quite the negative light. Suffice it to say that it took me until the end of my contract year to cancel my membership. Oops.

Now, whenever I get the urge to be active, I strap on my runners and hit the road. I can focus on the birds chirping, I can count stuff, I can snoop in people's gardens, run through the occasional sprinkler, race bunnies, and let my pride keep me from stopping (I hate it when cars driving by see me start to walk -- they witness me giving up on a long hill, or just a stretch of pure, hot sun).

Yesterday I began my running regime once again. Usually, though, I start much sooner in the year. I figure I've run out of excuses, so I'd better get my jiggling butt in gear.

And so I ran. And ran. And walked TWICE -- grrrrr. Then I got back to my classroom (cuz I ran right after school), plopped myself in my chair to have a bit of water. I was distracted, however, by colleagues coming in to chat. We chatted. I stayed in my chair. When they left, I got up out of my chair, and almost COLLAPSED. Some swear words may have been uttered within my sacred Christian school walls. My muscles are still sore. I guess stretching really is important.

Then, of course, comes the best part of working out: the tendency to eat healthier. Sore muscles are good reminders when being tantalized by plates of cookies. However, I've only just begun the healthy run, so my resolve is not that strong quite yet. Last night I had some cookies and a bowl of Heavenly Hash ice cream. And it was all so, so heavenly.

3 comments:

beim said...

When I taught middle school, I uttered those types of words all the time.

Anonymous said...

cookies are indeed a difficult adversary. particularly monster cookies! fare thee well, love.

Anonymous said...

I wish I were an outdoor runner. I hate the gym, but it's the only safe place for me to run with my eyes closed.