Friday, May 11, 2007

Final Comments

I received eight comments on my last post! Wheeeeeeeeee! I must have struck a chord. There are just a few more comments about Facebook I'd like to make:

1. Tracey knows me quite well. She taught me how to spit in grade six. If she says she will see my face in the book eventually, she's pretty much going to be right.

2. Danielle is also quite right: our society is becoming more and more connected through technology. I was anti-cell-phone for a long time; however, I had to get one eventually (and now I'm quite attached). After a year of deliberating, I got a blog (which I'm glad I finally caved on), and now I can stay connected to some of my friends from all over.

3. Danielle is right again: she knows stuff about me even though she hasn't technically seen me in three years, all because of this blog. However, I don't think there's quite as much information available on a blog as there is on F.B. Plus, only a handful of people read this blog, and a lot more people would see my F.B. (including students). If I were to sign up for F.B. I'm pretty sure I would have to be very careful what details I would include.

4. It is inevitable that I will get a Facebook account. That truly is the way it is. We are curious beings who don't like feeling out of the loop and who enjoy having fun and connecting with people. Something inside me still hesitates, though, and I will continue to hesitate as long as I can. I appreciate the Debs and Brads of the world who will stick it out with me, for however long it lasts.

5. OK, no more F.B. posts for a while.
~~~~~~
In other new, our school had its first Spring Fling banquet/dance last night. My Student Council was in charge of the program and pretty much filling in everything that wasn't already filled in. Let's just say I have eleven blisters and I was at the school until 11:30 last night. It was a NUTTY experience, but I think the kids had fun.

And today is Grad Skip Day, where the grads all skip and spend the day at the beach together. That means I only teach one class today!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one last thing on the blog, you just have to be careful where ever you are posting your stuff because any single person can find you out!! ok im done!
danielle

Anonymous said...

one last thing about facebook..... nobody can see any of your info. unless they are your friend..... all they can see is a tiny picture that they can't enlarge, and your name. i too was worried about the student thing, but no need to worry there because unless you confirm someone as your friend they wont know anything. tick tock cheryl, i know your little fingers are just dying to type your name and a new password.... do it. it's cool, everybody's doing it..... hahaha. ahhhh cheryl, you're lucky i love you or i might have to tell some secrets on here about you.

beim said...

I want to thank you for your Facebook post. I was so curious I signed up. Brilliant! I totally endorse Facebook. Thanks CB.

Anonymous said...

i was suprised that almost no one knew about grad skip day. i knew and my dad didn't, its very ironic. i too am one of those in the camp who do not have facebook, though that is not entirely by my own free will. but i am still on your side!

bradj said...

When it comes to FB, I'm not so concerned what Joe Schmoe can see (personal profile, etc.), it's the guys behind the scenes and where that information goes. Who's buying it and for what purposes? And just what life-changing decisions are being based on that info anyways?

Their privacy policy is at best lax, at worst invasive. It's an opt-in privacy invasion though, so I won't. My $0.02

Anonymous said...

Cheryl- I haven't blogged or checked your blog in like a month...I miss both events. I keep meaning to post something, but the longer it goes, the harder it is to come up with a hiatus-breaking post.