Sunday, April 1, 2007

Pride

Reasons why I love being Canadian:

1. Beer flows like raging rivers of honey droplets.
2. We can make racially colourful comments. For example, ah shoot, I can't write down any of the examples. I made three today BY ACCIDENT.
3. Rita MacNeil (the artist and the country).
4. White Rock and gelato and fish and chips on a day with endless blues.
5. Degrassi commercials that make you cringe.
6. Canadian music scene (so hot right now). I'll never forget all the sweetness I experienced in Montreal this summer. Endless stars, live music, flip flops, people of every shape and size and so many tongues (but mostly French). And lawn chairs. Yes, lots of those.
7. People drive around with those hockey flag things sticking out of their windows. I should make some up that say Jane Austen.
8. Summer evenings that begin with some tasty food from Commercial Drive, then move into big white tents at Bard on the Beach, and end with a blanket thrown over driftwood on Jericho Beach to conclude with Symphony of Fire.
9. Tim Hortons. Oh how I love thee, oh roll up the rim. And then I hate thee, oh bastards of please play again. (I've cut back to one sugar from two in my coffee - that's my idea of a diet)

I'm gonna leave it at nine reasons, just for kicks and giggles. And cuz I want to watch TV and laze on the couch.

P.S. Andy made the most delicious ice cream concoction. I normally give him a really hard time for his, ahem, creativity in the kitchen. Tonight, however, he made me eat my words with every bite of his vanilla ice cream topped with a crushed Lindor chocolate ball, some banana, a shot of coffee (brewed this morning), and a Sweet 'n Salty peanut butter granola bar crumbled on top. It tasted a bit like that pie. What's it called again?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe a self respecting canadian would leave out hockey as one of the top things about being canadian. don cherry would have something to say about this. hopefully your husband will straighten this out and you become hockey addicted.

Jamie said...

and when dianna wins the vehicle, maybe i'll inherit the barbie mobile? wahooo!

i like your list. your sense of humour is very reminiscent of andy's...and it makes me happy to believe that it was that way before the fateful volleyball night when you read his blog and said, "hmmm..."

many tongues. of the french variety. sounds promising....maybe D and I should change our roadtrip plans to montreal, no?

Anonymous said...

Number three looks particularly like Andy's style...

I would buy the Jane Austen flag for my Chic lit prof. He would fly them proudly.

Bott said...

Actually, number three is written by Andy. He reached over and typed it. I laughed, and fully kept it, not really thinking that I was taking his work as my own (oopsies). He helped me make number one more colourful, too. He completes me...

Anonymous said...

GASP! That wasn't MY chocolate ball that Andy crushed, was it?

bradj said...

Yeah, tongues-- oh someone beat me to it.

The Jane Austen flag is a brilliant idea! I wouldn't own that one, but maybe someone even more random. Oh, now you got me thinking. It's got to be someone halfway recognisable, but unexpected. Maybe Marshall McLuhan? Or Thelonious Monk? Yeah, something like that...