Thursday, March 29, 2007

Deceptive Rabbits

Chocolate critters: brilliant. Pagan, but brilliant.

Today I had my first chocolate bunny of the season. I walked over to the deli at lunch cuz I was lazy this morning and didn't feel like bringing yet another can of soup to school. On a whim, I decided to add a dash of chocolate to my sandwich lunch, and purchased a cute little tin foiled rabbit. He just looked so cheerful and springy. Apparently I was so distracted by the cute lil' guy's face that I didn't notice the price tag. No matter, one would think that a chocolate bunny of not even three inches in height, and which contains no innards besides air, would cost somewhere around 50 cents. Nope. Later, as I was walking back to the school, I noticed the price tag: $1.39!! For what? That's RIDICULOUS! I felt like a cranky old lady lamenting the good old days when she could buy a chocolate bar for 3 cents. Honestly, though, $1.39?? I could have fed a kid in Africa for that! I think I went off in a rage to my friend about consumerism and inflation or something intellectual like that. (Even now, I'm working myself up into a tither. I can feel my heart racing at the injustice of it all.)

I was distracted, however, by a story she shared with me about a chocolate lover she knows. Apparently her friend liked chocolate so much that she always bit off the ears before giving the bunnies to her children. Her kids always thought they were chocolate mice. Hmmm, not a bad idea. I'll just have to make sure that I don't buy my kids HOLLOW chocolate bunnies, or they'll catch on pretty quick (and, I'm planning on having BRILLIANT children). Although, if I buy them hollow chocolates, they won't get fat (I don't want chubby kids, but I do want Chubby's kids...). Maybe I'll just stick to Mini Eggs. Yes, those are heaven in a shell.



P.S. The chocolate wasn't even good. The tradegy cuts me deep.
P.P.S. If I wanted to, I could use this chocolate bunny as an extended metaphor for life in soooo many ways.

1 comment:

T.I.Houghton said...

Don't be so downtrodden, all of the delicious bunnies taste the same in May anyways. All waxy and coating the roof of your mouth. Ah to be a youngster again.