Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Love Wednesdays

This morning I woke up to blue skies and all sorts of frost. As for most mornings, today I lingered in bed until the last possible second, then had to get my butt in gear to make it out the door in time for chapel. Whenever frost has visited us in the night, it doesn't register to me that I should probably get out the door earlier to account for window scraping time. Today, however, my car was parked such that the sun was shining on my windshield, so I was spared the dreaded frost attack. I sort of haw-hawed at my roommate (who was madly scraping her car) as I quickly sauntered down our steep driveway.

Big mistake.

I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and hit a huge patch of ice. And I bit it hard. I got air like in a Looney Tunes cartoon and landed in the classic spread eagle style. Somehow my keychain smashed to smithereens, I lost the main button off my pants, and I dropped everything (except the hefty can of soup I was holding - must have held onto that thing for dear life). And I landed in a puddle. My roommate, bless her, did not die in a fit of laughter, but instead helped me up and offered all sorts of sympathy. I had no time to waste, though, and jumped into my car dripping wet and covered with mud and blood, and raced to school. Wet clothing will dry; I couldn't be late for chapel -- again.

Two minutes away from the school I realized that today was Tuesday, not Wednesday. No chapel. I have a spare first period instead.

My elbows hurt, my bum is soaking wet, my pants are hanging open, I have blood on my shirt, but darn it, I made it to school on time today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um... am I a bad person if i just laughed out loud in the library? hope not... but that's some kind of amazing morning.

hope your bum dries and the stain comes out.

Anonymous said...

1st: awwww! are you ok?
2nd: HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA!!!

(I love how in internet land you can choose to express sympathy and concern before the more candid impulse of laughing someone's expense. Your roomate must be a woman of impeccable character.)

:)

bradj said...

Doesn't time suck? You never have enough when you need it most (esp. mornings).

Thanks for sharing -- you've just made me recommit to my vow to never work too hard to be on time for anything! That *was* your point, right? :-)

beim said...

Is it okay I laughed at that?